Master of Arts in Science Education (MASE) is a graduate program designed for science teachers in elementary, secondary, and tertiary level who wish to upgrade their capabilities in science teaching.
The curriculum consists of 49 units which may be completed in four semesters and one summer if the prescribed curriculum is followed. The students, however, may opt for a longer time of completion but it should not exceed five years.
- To produce and empower scientifically literate citizens.
- To enable graduate students to use science concepts, process, skills and values in making everyday decisions as they interact with other people and their environment; distinguish scientific evidence from personal opinions; use the achievements of science for the benefit and not for the destruction of mankind.
- To provide the needed knowledge, skills and competence in science education specifically for teaching research and extension and community service.
Basic education teachers, science teachers/educators, science coordinators/administrators, curriculum/program developers and science textbook writers.
MODE OF INSTRUCTION
A student enrolled in the program will be given a learning package (Modules) to read and to work on. He/she can choose any of the three modes of learning.
- Group Paced Learning. Students follow a fixed class schedule at least once to twice a month on Saturdays to meet their tutors for discussion, seminars, symposia, and/or conferences to enrich their learning experience. Students are expected to submit written assignments, and sit in supervised examinations at the University.
- Self-Paced or Individualized. A student is provided with his/her own tutor and a class schedule. Modules, independent researches and other instructional materials are laid down by the tutors who help the student enhance his/her knowledge, skills and attitudes. The student is required to visit the University as scheduled.
- Online Learning. A student is provided with his/her own tutor online and a class schedule. Tutors utilize an open source learning management system (LMS) as virtual classroom and other communication tools available today. The student may process his/her requirements and exams via online.