This is a post-baccalaureate program designed to empower teachers and para-teachers with the skills, proper values, and competencies to facilitate the potentiation and development of very young children, aged 2-6 years.
The program focuses on principles, theories and innovative strategies in developing children’s readiness skills in literacy, numeracy, social consciousness, and moral development.
- Identify the characteristics of preschoolers in the various aspects of human personality.
- Provide for the learning needs and problems of preschool children.
- Apply the different skills and competencies in developing children’s readiness in the various subjects of the preschool curriculum, with emphasis on reading, writing and arithmetic.
- Construct appropriate materials and experiences to facilitate learning among preschool children.
- Design preventive and corrective measures to deal with matters relating to children’s discipline.
- Appreciate and internalize the philosophy, goals and objectives of early childhood education.
Any BS/AB graduate in: Education, Social Work, Psychology, Nursing and other Human Sciences.
* Graduates of courses not included above may be admitted on meritorious basis.
MODE OF INSTRUCTION
A student enrolled in the program will be given a learning package (Modules) to read and to work on. He/she can choose any of the three modes of learning.
- Group Paced Learning. Students follow a fixed class schedule at least once to twice a month on Saturdays to meet their tutors for discussion, seminars, symposia, and/or conferences to enrich their learning experience. Students are expected to submit written assignments, and sit in supervised examinations at the University.
- Self-Paced or Individualized. A student is provided with his/her own tutor and a class schedule. Modules, independent researches and other instructional materials are laid down by the tutors who help the student enhance his/her knowledge, skills and attitudes. The student is required to visit the University as scheduled.
- Online Learning. A student is provided with his/her own tutor online and a class schedule. Tutors utilize an open source learning management system (LMS) as virtual classroom and other communication tools available today. The student may process his/her requirements and exams via online.